9.05.2007

How I Spent My Labor Day Weekend

Smoke from a distant fire.

Apologising for not blogging is as cliched as ... well, it's as cliched as apologising for not blogging, so I won't subject you to it (even though I did just kinda-sorta, backwardly apologise just now).

Over the long Labor Day weekend, Kim and I escaped the tentacles of Washington and headed into St. Louis. For the past nine years, I've made it a point to go to the Big Muddy Blues Festival on Laclede's Landing in downtown St. Louis. Before heading to the riverfront, Kim and I visited the St. Louis Zoo in Forest Park.

It was walking back to our car that we saw something on fire. It's not obvious from the picture, but since the smoke is coming from beyond the trees of Forest Park, it has to be a building in the Central West End area. All of this means nothing (or next to nothing) to non-natives, but, let me assure you that St. Louisans know that this is no good.

It's a credit to my journalistic ingenuity that I didn't bother to look up anything about the smoke (which appeared Sunday). In a day and age that allows me the privilege of googling anything at any time, I can't be bothered to figure out what was on fire in a picture I took.

But, it's also late at night, so I think I've earned a pass.

No comments: